Monday, July 2, 2012

And the winner is...

Bangkok!

Bangkok is the one place that I absolutely plan to go back to in the future.  My time spent in Bangkok was the highlight of my trip.  Every single street was an adventure.  The food, the people, the buildings, the lifestyle, and the chaos were so much fun.

I titled many of my Bangkok posts with the word chaos.  Bangkok is utterly chaotic, but in a good way.  I could never live there, but the chaos made it so fun to leave the hostel each day and wonder what craziness I would see that day.

Haggling with taxis and food vendors was enjoyable.  Unlike in Jerusalem where people tried to rip you off with aggressive sales tactics, people in Bangkok tried to rip you off with a smile.  Sometimes I won the game and sometimes I lost.  Still, losing only meant an extra US dollar, so it wasn't a big deal.

Bangkok is dirty and probably full of thieves.  Still, those things just added character to the city.  Beautiful temples were next to abandoned buildings and landfills.  The lack of organization just made it that much more special.  I am sure as Bangkok develops, it will lose many of the traits that made it fun for me.

Whether you stay at the JW Marriott or a dirty hostel (or do both like me) I would recommend a trip to Bangkok (and the rest of Thailand.)

Bangkok is the "best" place I have ever visited.

No comments:

Post a Comment