Sunday, July 1, 2012

Day 31 - Boston

I did not book a place to stay for tonight because my flight home was in flux.  My RTW ticket actually ends in Boston, so I booked a separate ticket through British Airways to get home.  A few days ago I changed that ticket to depart tomorrow at 5:45am.

I needed a place to sleep for just a few hours and had researched a few hostels in the area.  With a 5:45am flight, the subway isn't an option, so that limited me.  The cheapest hotel was the Red Roof Inn at $105 for one night.  The Courtyard was $180.  Eventually, I burned some Marriott points to stay at the Airport Courtyard.  It was way overpriced (even in points) but the other options were even worse.

The shuttle took forever to pick me up, but that let me make some phone calls.  It's pretty strange to use a mobile phone for the first time in a month.  It seems so advanced!

The Courtyard is nice, but it reminds me of work.  The distinct smell and the Boston skyline make me feel like I'm checking in for the week.  The JW in Bangkok felt like a foreign paradise.  The Courtyard feels like corporate America.  I don't think I am going to like this.

A warm shower was nice and my sunburn has changed from burning pain to itchy annoyance.

I won't have time (or transportation) to go see the city, but that's okay.  I was here recently while researching schools and it will be a short train ride away once I live in NYC.  Also, the jet lag means my body thinks it is 1am right now.  That will actually be handy for tomorrow morning.  I will be able to wake up at 3am and my body will think it is already 9am.  Flying westward was a great idea.

Time to prepare my bags for my last night away.

No comments:

Post a Comment