Sunday, July 1, 2012

Day 31 - Flight to Boston

My gate was right next to the Cathay Pacific lounge, so that worked out really well.  I had a lunch plate before heading to the gate.

Macaroons!  Wonderful, delicious, tiny treats!
Business class boarding was quick and soon I was in my "shell" seat.  There is a plastic shell around the seat to provide some privacy.  The seats don't go 180-degree horizontal, but pretty close.  I found mine comfortable enough for sleeping.

I watched an episode of CSI, Two and a Half Men, and the movie Safe House.  Combined with sleeping and eating, it filled up most of the flight.  American provides the great Bose QuietComfort 15 noise cancelling headphones, which are great for drowning out cabin noise.  They also make hearing flight attendants impossible, but that's not too big of a deal.

Since this was a flight, the main feature was food.  American certainly made sure I was well fed!

Warm nuts, club soda with lime, cheese antipasti, and some fancy wine.

Smoked salmon with capers and lemon.  Nice and light.

A giant asparagus salad.  Good dressing.

Gnocchi, good.  Beef, bad.

Custom made sundae!  I like this...

Snack before landing.
You can tell you're on an American airline because the portions are three times an international airline.  I'm not complaining though.

When I arrived in Boston, the US seemed happy enough to see me.  They seemed slightly concerned about how many countries I had visited, but spent most of the time interrogating foreigners.  I didn't even get a US border stamp.  Maybe we don't do that for US citizens returning anymore?  I watched customs take scissors and cut up 20+ shirts from one guy's suitcase.  I guess he tried to smuggle in commercial goods?  He yelled a lot, but still ended up with holes in all his clothes.

After customs, I sat down so I could switch back to my American SIM card.  But...the plastic bag had a hole in it and my SIM card was gone.  I had to empty my entire bag to search the bottom for it.  Thankfully it was in the bottom of the bad and seemed undamaged.  However, my paper clip to eject the SIM card was gone.  I tried lots of pointy objects but the iPhone is pretty particular.  A sewing needle did the trick and after a few reboots, my phone spammed me with voicemails, emails, texts, update alerts, and everything else that had been wanting to use data for the last month.  I'll deal with all of it when I get back home.  I'm still vacationing!

No comments:

Post a Comment