Sunday, July 1, 2012

Ranking - Airlines

 My ranking is inclusive of food, service, on-time performance, facilities, and seats.  I have adjusted it for class of service differences.

1. Cathay Pacific
2. Japan Airlines
3. American Airlines
4. British Airways
5. Royal Jordanian
6. JetStar

Cathay Pacific is so far above all other airlines that it's just silly.  Why can't other airline emulate Cathay Pacific?  Every single staff member is extraordinarily helpful even when it's an issue that should be addressed to someone else.  Cathay Lounges were consistently better than the others and food in flight was always great.  I think airline executives should buy tickets on Cathay Pacific and learn what to do.  I have no complaints about Cathay Pacific at all.  Greats seats, service, food, lounges, planes, entertainment options, and they were always on-time.

I only had one JAL flight, but they made me feel quite welcome.  I actually liked my seat better on AA, but everything else was better on JAL.

American was fine.  The entertainment options were much smaller than Cathay or JAL, but the headphones were nice.  The flight attendants were also fine, but not exceptional.  American got the job done in every category, but just didn't do anything over-the-top.

British Airways is hard to judge since I only flew between Paris and London twice.  It was a short flight and I was in economy, but BA just seemed very spartan, even in the business cabin.  The gate was disorganized and the flight seemed understaffed.  I would really need to fly on BA over an ocean to get a fairer comparison, but this is where they go for now.

Royal Jordanian managed to depart late on every one of my flights.  Flight attendants looked good in bright red uniforms, but they weren't as helpful and didn't seem to control boarding at all.  The food was edible, but nothing special.  The lounges for RJ were sub-par.  Given another OneWorld option, I wouldn't fly RJ again.

Ranking JetStar isn't really fair since the flight was so cheap.  JetStar doesn't try to compete as a full-service airline, so naturally they lose this ranking.  Still, JetStar was like being loaded onto that bus in Taiwan.  It was a zoo.  We were late, they are understaffed, getting a boarding pass was like pulling teeth, the flight was hot, loud, and long.  We were delayed due to congestion in the air which didn't help.  Seats were tiny.  Drinks were expensive (even for soft drinks).  Passengers completely ignored flight staff.  I recommend taking a train unless you need to go somewhere fast or over water.

The only surprise in this list was American ranking above BA and RJ.  I knew CX was supposed to the be the best airline in the world.  JAL used to be.  I was disappointed by RJ because I had heard good things.  I still need to try out some other Oneworld airlines.  Maybe I'll do a South American trip on LAN Airlines next!

No comments:

Post a Comment