Monday, July 2, 2012

Day 32 - Flight to Dallas

I woke up at 2am feeling ready to start the day.  I laid around for two hours before heading downstairs for the shuttle bus.  The driver forcefully insisted that he remove my backpack from my back and place it in the luggage rack himself.  Maybe it's some sort of union rule.

The check-in kiosk couldn't find my reservation, so I used the first class check-in.  As usual, my AA number wasn't attached to the reservation because it was a British Airways ticket.  I used to call in and fix it, but it takes so long that I didn't bother this time.

I went to the Admirals Club where I had "breakfast".

Four different mini-muffins, an apple, and club soda with lime.

Empty Admirals Club.
The lounge opened at 4:45am and I entered right when she unlocked the door.  I sat in the empty lounge enjoying my "breakfast".  I miss Cathay Pacific already.

Since I couldn't select my seat in advance, I didn't have many options.  I ended up in the first row of the coach cabin, but that meant no legroom because of the bulkhead.  The agent also didn't tell me that the man in the middle was morbidly obese.  That should be a requirement upon check-in.  All customers who have a width greater than the seat should be identified so premium passengers can avoid them.

The flight was a very cramped four hours.  Since I wasn't sleepy at all, it was that much longer.  My status got me free mixed nuts, but there wasn't much else to note about the flight.  We were on-time and I escaped the warm, squishy blob that had been touching me for four hours.

Seeing Dallas below was very bittersweet.  I exited DFW and was hit by surprisingly nice 80 degree air with low humidity!

Then it was over.  32 days of flights, crazy foods, adventures, mistakes, interesting sights, and a whole lot of fun.  A few more posts to come with final thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment