Sunday, July 1, 2012

Day 30 - Arrival in Paris

The flight was short and there were no lines upon arrival, so I made it down to the train station pretty quick.  I didn't want to take out a bunch of Euros since I was going to be in Paris for less than 24 hours, but the ticket machines wouldn't read my credit cards, so I didn't really have a choice.  I wanted to convert just a few pounds, but all the currency exchanges were already closed for the night.  It was still light outside at 9:30pm, so it was deceiving how late it was.

After buying a 10 Euro train ticket to the city, I looked out the window during my 45 minute train ride.  I transferred to the metro and waited some more before starting my walk to the hostel.  I was hoping the route would look familiar since I stayed at this hostel 4 years ago, but it didn't at all.

I arrived with the party in full swing.  I had forgotten there is an attached bar downstairs.  Check-in was simple (though expensive) and I went to my room where I met a Yale student studying in Spain for the summer.  We talked for a while before the rest of her group came back.  It turns out, it was me and seven undergrads from the US, all studying in Spain.  They came to Paris to party for the weekend.  After an hour of listening to them, I felt really, really old.  It's sort of sad.  I didn't really notice it four years ago, but maybe I was the same way.  Or maybe traveling through Thailand and Malaysia (real backpacking locations) hardened me.  It seems sort of silly for these girls to complain about how they are "roughing it" in what would be a luxury hotel in Asia.

I took a shower and prepared for bed while they gossiped about everything imaginable.  Then I went into the hallway where a group of very intoxicated girls tried to give me a rose and propose.  Testing love at first sight I guess?  Maybe it's just because we're in Paris and they were feeling romantic?  Maybe it's my charm and good looks?  :)



When I brushed them aside, they proposed to someone else down the hall.  Such is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment