Monday, June 11, 2012

Day 10 - Hong Kong to Bangkok

I stayed up until nearly 5am last night hanging out and playing games with people at the hostel.  I never have quite got my sleep on the right schedule, so I figured it would help.  Thankfully, I woke up at 11am!  Finally, I didn't wake up at 6am.  Now when I travel west, I should begin to have a normal backpacker sleep schedule, from 1am to 9am.

The trip to the Hong Kong Airport was effortless and pleasant on the Airport Express.  I ate brunch in the lounge.  The Cathay Pacific First Class lounge has waiter service as well as a buffet.  Here are a few of the plates I made.


Lamb, chicken, and some fancy looking tarts.

The usual dim sum, noodles, and fish.
 After my snack, I took advantage of the nice showers available and discovered the world's largest bath towel!

One towel for a family of four?
The shower was in vain however.  My flight had a gate change while I was in the shower and so I did not hear the announcement.  The new gate was the absolute furthest possible from the lounge.  I had to use my airport sprinting skills (highly developed from my consulting career) to make the plane.  I'm not used to running with a backpack and I'm not sure my legs were either.  Even with the AC in the airport, I was soaked again.  Ugh.  At least I made my flight, barely.

After burning off my snack during my mad dash, it was time for another meal.


My choices.
 
Tasty shrimp salad.


Not nearly as tasty sea bass.
 
Strawberry!  Thanks Cathay Pacific!
When I arrived in Bangkok, I was given a priority immigration card that let me use the lanes for diplomatic officials.  That made immigration instant and customs was essentially non-existant.  I didn't even see uniformed officials.

On the downside, my hostel did not include a map or directions, so I had no idea where to go.  I tried to visit the website, but the hostel had neglected to pay the bill, so it was offline.  I had the address, but the cab drivers can't read english.  I had someone in the airport translate the address into thai script and headed to the airport train to begin my Bangkok adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment