Saturday, June 30, 2012

Day 30 - Surprises

There are a few things that have surprised me this trip.

First, there I have seen very few Americans outside of London.  There are hordes of Australians and a good number from the UK, but barely any Americans.  I know travel is not as ingrained in our culture since we have such a large country and that we generally frown upon having a "gap year" while it is encouraged in other countries.  I was shocked to have met only a single American at my hostels and that was in Japan.  Money is clearly not an issue for us, so I wonder what that says for us as a country.

Second, I am shocked by the dominance of American restaurants.  Everyone knows McDonalds is global, but I didn't realize just how popular KFC was.  I thought it was hilarious four years ago in Slovakia when KFC had its own highway exit.  Now I know that KFC is that popular everywhere.  In Malaysia, people dressed up and brought the entire family to go to KFC.  Besides fried chicken, our burger joints are everywhere as well.  I found a Wendy's in one city.  We export our culture through movies, but also through food.  I can't help but wonder if we are going to make the rest of the world fat.

Third, I have been repeatedly told that the American accent is easy to understand.  Of course, I can't hear it myself, but the Asian people much preferred it to Australian and British accents.  I find that interesting.  I am sure there are language experts who can explain it in technical terms.  Maybe it's just that the world is used to hearing American accents in TV shows and movies.  Also, most countries teach American English rather than British English.  In Europe, British English is more common, so I don't ever remember discussing the American accent.  In Asia, it seemed to come up as a conversation topic at least once per country.

Fourth, most ATMs do not charge a usage fee.  Every American ATM I know of charges a $1.50 to $10 (Vegas) fee to use the ATM on top of any fee charged by your issuing bank.  Overseas, my card was never charged except for in Thailand.  Maybe it's because I have an international card and the banks only charge domestic ones.  I'm not sure.  I do remember paying fees in Europe four years ago, so maybe it's an Asian thing.  Although, the banks here in London haven't charged me either.

Fifth, Hong Kong (and maybe other places) has currency issued directly by retail banks.  The HSBC ATM at the airport issues Hong Kong dollars with the HSBC logo on them.  In fact, almost 100% of Hong Kong's currency is printed (and owned) by private banks.  Technically, you can take an HSBC dollar to any branch and the bank will give you the equivalent amount of US dollars.  It's sort of like when the US was on the gold standard and you could exchange dollars for gold.

There are a few more things that surprised me, such as English proficiency, but I'll put that in its own post.

No comments:

Post a Comment