Thursday, June 14, 2012

Day 14 - Panic!

I re-read the Indian visa requirements last night.  None of the English websites are consistent and I can't read Hindi.  Still, I found out that I cannot get a visa on arrival.  I had to apply for one before leaving the United States.

To try and remedy this situation, I went to the Indian Embassy in Singapore.  I stood in a line with 25 Indians and when I got to the gate I was turned away for not coming early enough.  The guard also said I needed to go to a different facility to apply for a visa.  I went to the other facility where I was turned away for not being a permanent resident of Singapore.

Next, I went to the American Embassy in Singapore.  Sadly, my own government didn't want to see me either.  You have to have an appointment.  That probably makes sense.  Security is really intense at an embassy.  If you were planning some sort of attack, I would not recommend an embassy.  No cameras, phones, laptops, liquids, backpacks, foods, or anything that could potentially be used as a weapon.  They should probably just make you change into a robe and carry your passport and papers.

After being rejected everywhere, I decided to enjoy the day in Singapore and try again tomorrow.  Nothing turns a frown upside down faster than conveyer sushi!

It's cheap.

And it comes right to you!
What a great idea.  I washed it down with some juice.


Lime Juice :(
 Remember the Asian juice rule?  It's not limeade.  It's lime juice.  As she squeezed the limes, I wondered how she was going to make them less sour.  She didn't.  Lime juice is an acquired taste for sure...

I went to Little India to look for some less healthy snacks following my light lunch.  I found a few things from this samosa shop.


It's like fried potpourri.  Not so great.


And some sort of stale brownie.  Oh well.
At least Little India sold Coke Zero for less than $1.  That tasted fine.

Then I headed to Little India's hawker center to find a better snack.  I had better luck there.

A friendly muslim food stall serving Indian.

Fresh Dahl and Naan
It doesn't get any fresher than this.  I watched him knead the dough.  Then he put it on the open air over.  Then he put it on my plate and nearly melted my fingers off.  Still, it was wonderful bread.  It went perfectly with the fresh sambar.  This was a much better follow-up snack.

Then it was off to more sightseeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment