Saturday, June 2, 2012

Day 3 - Breakfast in Tokyo

I woke up at 3AM to someone staggering into the room.  That has been pretty par for the course so far.  Most people seem to go to bed between 2AM and 4AM, with at least one getting to bed around 7AM.  I am again the first person awake in the hostel at 5:30AM.

I decide to search for breakfast and discover that nothing opens in Tokyo (except the fish market) until 9AM.  But then I saw something very out of place!

Denny's?!
Denny's in Tokyo!  I could get eggs and other actual breakfast food items instead of more noodles...or so I thought.

I had been warned in advance that bacon in Japan is not the same as bacon in the US.  The two bacon pictures on the left of the menu seemed to confirm that at least one version was some sort of modified bacon.  Since I had no idea how to ask for substitutions, I ordered the Japanese breakfast.


Smoked salmon, rice, miso soup, and...a cold, raw egg.  So much for my american eggs.  I can deal with a liquid yolk, but never have I eaten raw egg whites.  I decided it was worth a try and like the man next to me, tried to drink the egg from the bowl.  When the cold egg hit my lips, I knew it wasn't going to happen.  So I ordered the most delicious breakfast item on the menu.


Toast never tasted so good.  It was twice as thick as normal toast, but it was delicious and made all my nightmares about raw eggs go away.  The salmon, rice, and soup were good too, though still a little strange for a 6AM meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment