Thursday, June 14, 2012

Day 13 - First Night in Singapore

It turns out one of the people on my flight followed me to the hostel.  We chatted for a while and she showed me her badly infected ankle.  She was bitten by a snake in the jungle in Laos, but left the wound alone because the doctors there are apparently more like witch doctors than real doctors.  It was discolored with white and yellow pus dripping out of it.  I offered her some of my antibiotics, but she said she was going to find a doctor in Singapore tomorrow.  We'll see how that works for her.

I then headed out to get some food.  I found a food paradise!  Singapore has "food hawker centers" which are sort of like giant outdoors food courts.  They have hundreds of stalls serving everything you can imagine.  Even though Singapore is on the equator, which means it has the climate of a tropical rainforest, I might be able to live here just because of the food stalls.  You get all of the great food from around Asia, but together in a sanitary environment!

Spicy Seafood Fried Rice and Sugarcane Juice.

Grinding the sugarcane to get the juice!
See?  Juice is Asia is always fresh!  Watching the sugarcane grind was pretty cool.

The eating area with the stalls on the edges.
 
Some options I passed over...quickly passed over.
So my first food visit in Singapore was a success.  It was also pretty fun just to see all the crazy things people were eating.

Afterwards, I stopped at 7-11 to buy water, like I have done in every country so far.  You always want to have water on you because of the humidity and 7-11 always has the cheapest.

I ended up having the room all to myself which was pretty nice.  I had the best by the window overlooking the Chinatown market, so that was great too.  This hostel has by far the nicest locations.  The metro is 20-25 steps from the front door of the hostel.  There is a balcony and great AC.  The showers are upstairs since the ones on my floor are female only, but it's not so bad.  We'll see if this place continues to be the best.  Street noise could be an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment