Saturday, June 2, 2012

Day 2 - More Tokyo Exploring

In the afternoon, I continued my walking exploration of Tokyo.  I headed to the Imperial Palace, which is closed to the public, but has a garden on the grounds which is supposed to be open to visitors.  First, you have to cross a moat.  Instead of alligators, the Japanese use terrifying geese of some sort.
Prohibiting visitors keeps the gardens more serene

Alligator alternative

Original Castle Gate
After the palace, I visited a temple where one of the previous emperors is buried.  It feels like a completely different place far from Tokyo since you have to walk a mile into a man-made forest to get there.  There is a purification station for worshippers to clense themselves before praying at the temple.

Purification Station

Main Temple Shrine
Then it was to Tokyo's version of Time Square, called Shibuya.  I have an amazing video of everyone crossing the street at the same time.  It's fascinating.

Japanese "Times Square"

I think I'll just go to the one in Grapevine...
After 15 hours of walking, I called it a day.  I'm not sure you can see all of Tokyo in one day, but I sure tried!

No comments:

Post a Comment