Friday, June 22, 2012

Day 22 - An Exercise in Patience

I think this is sort of what prison is like.  Everyone should have to spend a day in the Mumbai airport because it would reduce our crime rate.

It has been 15 hours since I landed here and I have completely run out of things to do.  Escaping from airport jail was a step forward, but it turns out the entire terminal is essentially a jail.  The only way to leave the international terminal is with an employee pass or on an airplane.  I have no money and there are no ATMs.  In fact, there is really nothing at all.  There are a few fast food restaurants and a number of duty free stores selling alcohol and chocolate, but that's it.  Some airports are like small cities with entertainment everywhere.  Not here.

Things I did today:
 - Walked into every part of the terminal.  (three times)
 - Browsed news online
 - Tried to sleep on the floor
 - Called American Airlines
 - Called Cathay Pacific
 - Called Royal Jordanian
 - Called a home water delivery service in Seattle (by accident)
 - Window-shopped for luxury spirits
 - Used the massage chair in the RJ lounge (off and on for hours)
 - Ate a samosa
 - Ate some biryani
 - Completed my own personal census by counting non-Indians
 - Sat down at random gates to see the reaction

That last bullet was sort of fun.  I am the only white person at the airport.  In 15 hours, I have seen maybe 100 non-Indians, but zero Westerners.  Maybe it's because it's monsoon season or maybe all the Western airlines have night flights.  I don't know.  However, I am wearing a really bright blue long sleeve shirt, a hat, sunglasses, trekking sandals, and feature some pretty pale skin.  I am pretty used to being stared at now.

As an experiment, I sat at random gates and pretended to browse my phone.  The best reaction ever was at a gate to Riyadh.  Almost the entire gate area is filled with men in white robes and completely covered women in all black.  I sat in the middle in bright blue.  I could tell they were talking about me, but I don't speak Arabic, so I can only imagine what they said.  After about 10 minutes, the gate agent came over and said, "Sir, are you travelling to Riyadh?"  I said no but that I liked the view from the gate and she looked confused.  Other gates weren't as entertaining, but the group of Hindu "nuns" with bright blue shawls was fun.  I almost fit in!

After an hour or so of gate touring, I walked back to the RJ lounge to continue my wait.  The BA lounge should reopen in 2 or 3 hours so I can eat dinner.  They also have a couch, so I might try to sleep on something more comfortable than the floor.

I still don't have my passport back or a boarding pass, but Cathay Pacific assured me they are upstairs in the secret area I cannot access.  This is for "security measures."  I'm not sure withholding my documents makes me more secure.  In fact, it just gets me stopped by random airport employees who want to harass the white guy in the bright blue shirt.  Oh well.  9-ish hours to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment