Thursday, June 14, 2012

Day 12 - The Last Supper

I set out for my last good Thai meal before heading to Singapore tomorrow.  I doubt I will have time for any food tomorrow, so I needed to make this one count.  That means going to get some real Thai food at a local place.  I walked to the Chinatown night market (which is actually full of Thai carts as well as Chinese carts).  I found a relatively clean looking place with noodles that looked tasty.  I walked around to see what everyone was eating and they seemed to be enjoying their meals.  Since they didn't speak English, I just said "Pad Kee Mow" and held up one finger.  It worked!  Then I pointed at a bottle of yellow liquid at a nearby table and she got me one.

Mystery Liquid.

Food Stall.

My authentic Thai dinner.
Good stuff.  I can leave Thailand knowing that I redeemed myself after eating German and Italian for two of my meals.

I did grab a few other treats on the way back, but it was too dark to take pictures.  I generally have a drink in my hand at all times to prevent dehydration.  I have had quite a few mango juice drinks over the past two weeks, so I went with Lychee this time.

I also learned that the Thai women are rentals.  The couple next to me was clearly on a pre-arranged date.  She was crazy interested in him and laughed at everything.  She kept telling how handsome he was and how much fun they would have later.  This was clearly not a couple that had known each other for even a day or two.  He was also very socially awkward.  He whispered to her that he needed a fork.  Then she asked me to pass the set of tableware next to me.  He did the same thing for the spicy peppers.  I guess he only talks to people who he rents by the hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment