Thursday, June 14, 2012

Day 14 - An Evening in Singapore

I decided to go see one of the quays.  I'm glad I did.  Singapore has some nice areas and this is one of them.


A nice scenic view for all the restaurants.

Some crazy pastel colors.

A boat...in the air...on three buildings?
After my nice stroll around the Clarke Quay, I walked through a few shopping malls.  Singapore has more malls per citizen than any place in the world I think.  If not, I would surprised.  Eating and shopping seem to be all anyone does here.

On my way back to the hostel I discovered this place.

Only $10?
So I got a haircut.  I needed one badly.  It had been 6 or 7 weeks.  I did manage to find the only person in all of Singapore that didn't speak English to cut my hair.  That made it exciting.  She would speak in Japanese and I would smile and say yes a lot.  It turned out OK.  The best part was when she got a vacuum (yes a real vaccum) and sucked all the stray hairs off of my head after she was done.  What a great idea!  Instead of having hair fall everywhere the rest of the day, they just suck it up.  It was sort of loud and crude, but it worked.  All for only $10 (Singapore dollars, so even less in USD)

I went back to the hostel to show off my new style, but no one really noticed.  Oh well.  After checking in on snake bite girl, I found her all bandaged up.  The doctor let her keep her foot, but told her not to eat seafood for a week.  I'm not sure what that's all about.

I headed back to the extra tasty hawker center from last night.  This time I waited in the longest line I could find.  I figure it has to be good if 100+ stalls have no line and you're willing to wait in one.  The one I chose took about 20 minutes or so, but I was rewarded with...

Making my chicken and rice by hand.


Looks pretty plain, but it was the tastiest healthy chicken I have ever had.
 I can see why people wait for it.  The chicken is perfectly steamed and the sauces are fun to add on.  The real attraction is the rice.  I don't know what spices were used, but the rice is incredible.  It's not fried, but it has some sort of sauce on it that makes you want to eat two or three platefuls.

You can also see the empty lychee drink I ordered.  Don't worry, I replaced it with a banana pineapple drink shortly after.


Ah, more fresh fruit.
Singapore is sort of like being in an oven at all times, so I guess it makes sense that they know how to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment