Sunday, June 3, 2012

Day 3 - Tokyo to Haneda

I decided to play it safe and head to Haneda International Airport early.  I had no idea how to get there or what security would be like.  Also, I wanted to spend some time in the lounge to catch up on news and take a nice shower.  The hostel showers have been less than pleasant.  (Cold water and Camp Suds just don't hit the spot for me.)

My one-way subway ticket was 710 yen.  An all-day pass on any line in the city is only 1000!  I suppose I should be happy about saving 290 yen compared to yesterday, but somehow the inferior value of my ticket rubs me the wrong way.  It's like the movies.  Small popcorn: $4.95. XXXL popcorn: $4.99.  Don't you know you can upgrade your popcorn to be fives times larger for only 4 cents?

I still haven't gotten used to everyone bowing to me.  At 7-11, the cashier deeply bows to you after you make a purchase.  When I checked in for my flight, the clerk nearly banged her head on the desk.  Security was actually very easy.  I left my liquids inside my bag and kept my shoes on.  I was through in less than a  minute.

I stopped at the museum of confiscated items on the way to the lounge.  Some of the items are hilarious.  Who tries to bring a huge box of matches on an airplane?  A samurai sword?

Snakehead wallet?
The JAL first class lounge feels like checking in at the Bellagio.  I noticed they didn't bow to me, but they did to the older Japanese man in front of me.  I'm not sure if it was because I am American or because I am dressed like I am on a safari.

The lounge has a beer machine.  You place your glass on the circle and the machine picks it up.  Then it pours the beer and adds the perfect amount of head on top before setting the glass down.  The Japanese have replaced bar tenders!  There is the usual assortment of goodies laying out.  You know, watermelon cake, cold jellyfish salad, and rice crackers with raw squid as a topping.  Nothing you wouldn't already have at home.

The shower was wonderful with water that went up to 75 degrees.  Normally we would think that to be cold, but that works out to 168 degrees Fahrenheit.  In other words, do not let children near this shower.  I am sure someone in the US would have sued already for burning themselves.  Now that I am all cleaned up, I am ready for my flight to Seoul tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment