Friday, June 15, 2012

Day 15 - Eastern Toilets

I'll keep this post pretty short, but I think everyone should be aware that there are two very different toilet systems in use in the world.  There may be more than two, but I am excluding buckets, pit toilets, and other non-flushing types.

Nice hotels have all migrated to Western-style toilets, so many tourists probably never encounter the other version.

This is the other version.
The door is hiding a bucket of water with a cup.  There is no toilet paper in Eastern-style restrooms.  The white block next to the toilet is showing you where to place your left foot.  There is another block on the right hand side.

In India, no one eats using their left hand.  I have had trouble remembering that when I eat at Indian places.  I have to force myself to keep my left hand under the table and practice ripping bread apart with my right.  Even after washing your hands with soap, you only eat with your right hand.

If you really want to figure out how it works, you can search for Eastern-style toilet and I am sure there are some people who have created instructional videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment