Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Day 27 - Flight to London

We arrived in Paris and I walked through immigration without even a question.  I went to the SCNF station to buy my Eurostar ticket.  I punched in all my information (including my youth discount for being under 26) and the machine told me the fare: 396 pounds sterling.

That's more than $600 US dollars.  I don't think I will be going to London by train.  Ryanair same-day tickets were a little better, but the times were terrible.  I considered staying in Paris or going somewhere cheaper than London, but then I thought up a great idea.  British Airways miles!

I went to BA.com and found myself a nice flight to London for only 4500 miles leaving in just under 2 hours!  Perfect.  Except that when I tried to book it, the BA website broke.  I called the local number, but they told me I had to call the US office since my account is registered in the US.  The US office was closed.  Not good.

I sat around the Paris airport until the British Airways office in the US opened and paid for wifi so I could make the call.  I wasn't able to make the flight I wanted, so I settled for the 4:45 departure.  I booked the flight and checked in 60 seconds later since I made the call from right in front of the counter.

BA doesn't have a lounge at CDG, but I used my Admirals Club membership to go there.  The Admirals Club had terrible food options, but at least there was free wifi.  I sat around eating pretzels and writing updates until boarding time.

The flight was less than an hour which was good.  The line for immigration was about the same amount of time which was bad.

Then I took the very expensive Heathrow Express right to my hostel which was across from the station.  $60 for a round trip ticket for a 15 minute ride.  Ouch!

No comments:

Post a Comment