Saturday, June 2, 2012

Day 2 - Tokyo Fish Market

I woke up at 4:00am local time due to jet lag and the sun shining in my face.  Apparently the sun comes out at 4am here.  I decided to take advantage of the time to go see the Tsukiji Fish Market.  It's an experience difficult to describe because we simply don't have anything like it at home.  It is a monstrous market with every sea creature imaginable for sale to restaurants.  Here are some highlights.

One aisle out of hundreds

Outgoing fish

Octopus for sale!

Giant fish!
Surprisingly, the market did not smell bad.  The Japanese either have special non-smelling fish living in their waters, or they have a secret chemical or something.  It was great not smelling like fish the rest of the day.  After leaving the market, it was 6am, so I needed breakfast.  Naturally, I went for sushi.  It was a popular idea.  I went inside and everyone was drinking beer at 6am.  Clearly, this was not the United States.

Full House

No idea what the fish on the left was

The "tongue" was moving...

Outside the sushi bar
The sushi was the best I have ever had and for a fairly reasonable price.  Sushi at the Tokyo fish market is a food lover's dream.  It doesn't get any fresher.  Sushi in the US is going to be so disappointing after this.

No comments:

Post a Comment