Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Day 19 - Train to Bangkok

My 24 hour train was good and bad.

Good:
 - Nice, big bed.
 - Only three people in my car (the Japanese and Korean from earlier), so quiet.
 - On-board chef

Bad:
 - Unusable toilets
 - Train rocked back and forth all day and night
 - No money to buy food
 - Stained bed

I had no Thai Baht leftover from earlier, which I had thought was a good thing.  I was proud of myself for timing my Thai currency so well.  Sadly, this meant 24 hours without food.  Now the goal was to sleep as much as possible.

Two bunks for me!
 
Mattress needs cleaning.
 The scenery was pretty interesting.  There were long stretches of nothing but trees and animals.  There were also quite a few small towns that were fun to watch.  The Thai countryside really reminded you that this is a developing country.  People lived in shacks built of scrap metal tied together with grass.  Bangkok is poor, but it somehow doesn't seem nearly as destitute as the countryside.

I slept, read, slept, talked, slept, looked out the window, and slept.

No comments:

Post a Comment