Saturday, June 30, 2012

Day 30 - Last Day in London

I had my free breakfast again.  This time I have a picture.

Sausage, bacon, toast, eggs, baked beans, mushrooms, tomato.
For my last day, I was determined to see the British Museum.  However, my Australian roommate has eaten breakfast with me for three straight days and wanted to enjoy the sunny 70 degree weather in the park.  I had plenty of time for a single museum, so we walked together through the park for an hour or so.

Then we stumbled upon this thing,

That's Prince Albert.
Across from his memorial, the Prince Albert Hall is a giant dome and famous in its own right.  We walked from there to the nearest metro station where we said our goodbyes.  She went off to Buckingham Palace and I went into the metro.

Coming out of the metro, I found Chinatown.

Chinatown.
After going through Asia, Chinatown was a sort of sad Disney-like copy.  I didn't stay long and started walking to the museum.  When I arrived, I was hungry for some reason.  I walked to the nearest cafe and ordered a roast beef sandwich.  I was slightly concerned when he took two pieces of regular grocery store wheat bread and coated each with a thick spread of butter.  Then he added roast beef and what the British call a salad (lettuce, tomato, onion).  I ate it, but the butter was a little strange.

Buttered beef.
Then it was time to go inside.  I was greeted with this scene.

What's with the horse?
I moved onto the exhibits and found a pretty famous rock.

The Rosetta Stone!
It turns out that London has some of the best artifacts from all over the world.  Some of the displays even mention that the original countries want their stuff back, but that everything is too fragile to move.  Here are some things I found.

Easter Island statue.
A room full of Egyptian statues.
Room with thousands of books from the Enlightenment Period.
Even better, the museum is free.  I can't argue with that.  Afterwards, it was time to head back to get my bags from the hostel and head to Heathrow.  It took a while since there were subway delays, but I had planned 4 hours just to be safe.

I picked up my bags and walked across the street to Paddington Station to board the Heathrow Express.  15 minutes later I was at the airport.  Using the first class check-in and Fast Track security lane, I was through in ten minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment