Monday, June 25, 2012

Day 24 - Getting to Jerusalem

The lack of English is Tel Aviv was a little unexpected.  I was pretty spoiled in Asia with countries either speaking English as a common language (Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong) or having English signage everywhere (Seoul, Taiwan) or obviously being  a foreigner (Tokyo, Bangkok).

In Israel, English is not the primary language (outside of tourist areas), there is not English signage anywhere, and people speak Hebrew to me because I don't look out of place.  Israel has actually been the most difficult country to communicate in so far.

The bus station was a pretty confusing place, but after 30 minutes of exploring, I found a bus to Jerusalem.  I had no idea what the price was or how to buy a ticket, so I just stepped on the bus.  I was able to buy a ticket from the driver who rambled to me in Hebrew while I held up one finger and smiled.  I guess it worked because he took my money and gave me a ticket.

An hour later I was in Jerusalem.  This time there was a light rail station right outside the bus terminal, which was very handy.  Trains stay on the track, so they're pretty straight forward.  The ticket machines even had an English button!  I later found out that virtually everyone in Jerusalem speaks English because it's a major tourist destination, unlike Tel Aviv.

I took the train to the Old City and started wandering.  I didn't have a Jerusalem map, but even if I did, I'm not sure it would have helped.  There was seemingly no planning at all for direction or incline of the streets.  I suppose that makes sense for a city thousands of years old.

I was nearly robbed by a store vendor who repeatedly tried to cheat me out of shekels.  It's a rather long story, so I won't type it all out.  Essentially, once the store vendor finds a way to get something of yours (in my case, my TCU hat) you're at their mercy until they agree to give it back.  Usually the only way is to just buy something crazy overpriced.  It was a sobering experience because I knew better than to go in a shop.  I let my guard down when he said his uncle went to TCU.  Why would a Beduin muslim have an uncle at TCU?  Oh well.

Then I found the cool stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment