Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Day 25 - Amman

So...Jordan is a desert.  I'm not sure why people chose to live here at some time in the past, but they must have been crazy.

My driver picked me up at the airport with a sign.  It turns out he's from North Carolina.  He owned a convenience store in Durham, but he was robbed at gunpoint and moved to Jordan.  He says the US is much too dangerous for his family and he needed a safer country.  Luckily this means he speaks pretty good English.

He gave me a driving tour on the way to the hostel explaining Jordanian history and how great the country is.  Then he bought me a Jordanian flag from a guy walking in the middle of the road.  He said all proud Jordanians have a flag on their car.  I did notice the flag is everywhere.

Surprisingly, all signs were in both Arabic and English.  There is way more English in Jordan than Tel Aviv.

I arrived at the hostel and went upstairs to escape the heat.  That idea didn't work since the hostel appears to use windows and fans to provide shelter.  I met a Dutch researcher who is here to study dust devils.  He might have the most obscure job I've ever heard of.  We went to dinner together with an Iraqi and a guy from Fiji.  We are quite the multiculutral dinner party.  We were forced to the upstairs tourist area so we wouldn't upset the locals, but that worked out OK for us.

National Dish of Jordan
 The national Jordanian dish is lamb with rice.  The lamb seems to be cut randomly for each person.  I got a lot of meat and some stomach.  Lamb stomach actually tastes much better than cow stomach.

After dinner I booked a tour for the morning and went to bed.  The tour starts at 8am and I have to eat breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment