Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Day 20 - Bangkok (again?!)

I arrived in Bangkok with no hostel reservation, so that was my first priority.  I stopped at a local internet cafe and bought a mango smoothie.  Ah, more Thai fruit.  Yum.  The owner felt sorry for me and brought me watermelon and pineapple to help the hunger.

I decided to stay somewhere different this time.  I only needed one night since my flight was at 1am the following night.  I knew I had a free Marriott Rewards certificate sitting in my account because of a credit card anniversary.  I could stay at a hotel with a real shower and a private room for free!  Even more exciting was that I didn't have to use points.  This was truly a totally free stay.

I decided if I was going to stay in a hotel, I might as well go big.  One night for me at the JW Marriott in Bangkok!


No bunk bed?!
 
Where are the fleas?

A clean shower and a clean toilet?

A hallway with art instead of broken glass?
The shower was just wonderful.  After the "shower" in Penang and sleeping dirty on the train, it was most welcome.

But the JW Marriott comes with a lounge for Platinum members!


Compared with rural Thailand, I thought this might be Heaven.
 
A huge buffet and make-to-order pad thai!

An outdoor patio with a view.

The view.

Sticky rice with...mangos of course.
I bet you didn't see the mangos coming.  I enjoyed a number of refreshments and ate a day's worth of food.  I had to make up for lost eating opportunities on the train.  Best of all, it was free.  From a value perspective, it didn't get any better.

The JW also did my laundry for me while I was in the lounge.  I should have asked about the price before dropping it off, but it seemed sort of tacky to get a 6000 baht hotel room and inquire about laundry prices.  My hostel was 200 baht a night.  The final laundry bill for washing two t-shirts, two underwear, one pair of athletic shorts, and one pair of pants: 1200 baht.  In other words, the laundry cost more than I spent in four days in Bangkok when I was here earlier.  I can eat a full meal for 30 baht.  I'm glad I have access to the lounge because drinking one of the water bottles in the room is 200 baht.  Ouch!

Even with my laundry bill, I am enjoying my stay in paradise.  I even put on my fancy collared shirt for the first time.  Actually, I had to.  The lounge has a dress code.  Although, the guy in the photo above is violating it.  I guess not everyone reads the rules.

I am looking forward to a nice breakfast in the morning for free on the rooftop.  But first, this Marriott bed is looking mighty tempting...

No comments:

Post a Comment