Monday, June 18, 2012

Day 17 - Hidden Treasure

I continued my search for a nice area of Kuala Lumpur, but first I had to eat.  The waitress kept trying to get me to order from the western-style dishes.  When I insisted on something from the eastern side, she warned me that it was very spicy with a concerned face.  I guess most tourists can't handle spice.


Papaya salad and shrimp stir-fry with mago juice.


She told me not to eat these.
I ate them anyway while she cringed.  Then I needed some watermelon.  For some reason I find that watermelon does a better job putting out the burn than anything except milk.

After dinner, I found a treat across the street from the hostel.


He churns it.

I eat it.
Seems like a good deal for me.  It turns out this is Turkish ice cream.  I'm not sure what the difference is between Turkish ice cream and normal ice cream, but it was cold and sweet, so I was happy.
After my snack, I saw a huge group of people dressed up.  I decided to follow them to figure out where the nice part of the city is.  And then I found it...


Where am I and what have you done with Kuala Lumpur?!
Kuala Lumpur has a secret mall where they sell cars and other luxuries that most of the population can't afford.  I saw ads saying "good paying job for English speakers at RM1200 per month!"  That's less than $400 a month.
Toyota 86.  Someone get me one please?


Gathering area for rich people.
The nice area is not very big, but it's good to know that it exists.  It was strange to see women wearing full Islamic garb shopping in high end stores.  They mostly shopped in purse stores, not clothing stores, but still.  It's strange to see black hooded figures buying luxury western goods.


He looks normal.  She looks like an evil version of Casper.

Having some cake.

I'm not sure how the women avoid suffocating.  I had a group of cloaked women ask me to take their picture in front of the fountain.  I wanted to ask how they would know who was who, but they didn't speak English, so it wouldn't have mattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment