Friday, June 8, 2012

Day 7 - Arrive in Hong Kong

I started off by buying a tourist pass for the rail system.  I get two trips on the airport express train and unlimited metro access for 72 hours after the first swipe.  That sounds perfect to me!  As soon as you get on the airport express, you can tell Hong Kong has money.  The train was clean, fast, and full of people wearing suits.

I transferred onto the metro to get to the hotel and the subway here is completely different than Tokyo or Seoul.  It's somewhat similar to Taiwan, but much more sleek.  There are American-style advertisements everywhere.  In fact, there are American companies using American models to sell American products to...Chinese people.  I guess it must work.

As in Taipei, the humidity and heat is smothering.  My hostel was only a short walk from the metro, but I was soaked.  I guess I will be buying a lot of bottled water over the next four days to stay hydrated.  I've decided there is no way I could live here unless my home, office, and all entertainment were located underground or at least connected underground.  Luckily, it appears that is actually pretty possible.  All of the malls are underground and connected to all the office buildings via underground tunnels that go to the subways.  It's like a city beneath a city.  It also helps that all stores blast freezing AC all the time.  It seems like a pretty huge waste of electricity since the stores keep their doors open to attract people inside.

After arriving at the hostel, I focused on writing and eating.  I do want to note that my hostel is again in an apartment building, but a much nicer one.  In fact, it overlooks Hong Kong's version of Central Park.  Great location.

These aren't the greatest pictures, but this is the view from the balcony.

Just a few tall buildings they have here...

A view of the harbor.

My nest.
I found a cheap place nearby for dinner.  The menu wasn't in english and had no pictures, but everyone inside looked happy and prices were low.  I lucked out and got some sort of ramen.

The wontons have shrimp in them.
While walking back from dinner, I saw quite a few luxury cars.  In fact, nearly all the personal cars were high end.  Also, everyone dresses very fashionable.  Hong Kong so far is very much like an Asian NYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment