Thursday, June 21, 2012

Day 21 - To Suvarnabhumi International Airport!

After escaping the hospital, I took a taxi back to the metro station.  I worked my way back to the hotel and snuck into the lounge.  I had already checked out, so my key didn't work, but I waited until someone opened the door and the guards weren't looking.

I enjoyed a quick dinner before getting my bags from downstairs.  The concierge offered to haggle with a taxi for me.  I had planned to take the airport train, but a taxi sounded much easier than having to deal with mass transportation again.

Unfortunately, I got in the weirdest taxi ever.  The driver stopped in the middle of the road (well, the left lane, but not at an intersection) and decided to pee on the wall of the British Embassy.  Then he stopped at a CNG station to get some natural gas for the taxi.  Then he stopped in a random parking lot to smoke.  I think he was mad that I kept repeating 350 baht when he asked for more money.  In return, he ran a bunch of personal errands.

He went 5 kilometers in 45 minutes when all the stops were factored in along with traffic.  Ugh.  He did however take me to the airport for 350 baht.  He tried to scam me and make me pay for tolls on top of the fare, but I knew better.

Then things were problematic in the airport.  For some reason, Cathay had cancelled my ticket.  I showed them my valid ticket online and they researched the issue for 20 minutes with a bunch of phone calls.  I eventually got through, but it makes me wonder what will happen on my next few flights.  She also insisted I needed an Indian visa, but I talked enough to convince her otherwise.  We'll see what happens.

I received a premium pass to skip the normal security and immigration.  In security, a man in a wheelchair was screaming about poor service by the security staff who completely ignored him.  It was pretty funny.  He was saying horrible things to them but they had no idea and just kept smiling.

I went to the Cathay Lounge, but discovered I was alone without a restroom or shower.  I'm not sure why this lounge was so basic compared to all the other Cathay Pacific lounges, but I left to go to the British Airways/Qantas first class lounge.  It was much better, although not nearly as good as the Cathay Lounges in Hong Kong.  After a shower and some dinner, I called AA and tried to figure out what happened to my ticket.  They aren't sure, but said to call back tomorrow when I am in Mumbai.  I guess we'll see if it goes OK.

Looks awfully familiar to another drink I know of...

So pretty.  So tasty.
Now I will begin what is likely to be the least fun part of the journey.  I will fly at 1am to India and land at 4am local time.  Then I will have to entertain myself for 25 hours until my next flight at 5am local time the next day.  I hope there is a 24 hour lounge I can access and that I can sleep in it.  If not, I think there is an airport hotel that rents rooms in 8-hour blocks for sleeping, but I don't think I can get to it if it's outside security due to the visa restriction.

Here goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment