Saturday, June 2, 2012

Day 2 - Narita to Tokyo

OK, this part of the trip was pretty awful.  The main issue was sleep deprivation, because I really needed to be alert to get to my hostel.  Narita airport had all english signs, which was wonderful, but immigration and customs are always a pain.  It took about 45 minutes to get through, which wasn't too bad.  Then the problems started.

First, I needed to buy a train ticket since Narita is over an hour away from downtown Tokyo on a normal train.  The ticket counter only accepted cash and I searched fruitlessly for an ATM.  Luckily, I had $76 US Dollars in my wallet and I settled for the currency exchange booth where I am sure I was ripped off.  Still, I had to get to my bed, so there wasn't really a choice.  Second, the only directions I had were from the hostel reservation.  Since I had no map, I had to listen to the Japanese voiceover and try to listen for the name and look out the window in the dark to try to find signs.  Naturally, I missed the station and had to backtrack.  Then I had to transfer to the subway and find the hostel itself, again without a map.  I will leave out the rest of the journey, but had been up for over 24 hours by the time I arrived.

I arrived at the hostel just in time for a party!  It was the 6-year anniversary of the opening and I was immediately thrust into a picture.  I took off my shoes outside (required) and put down my bag for the group photo.  My goal was just to sleep, but I was handed a beer and a plate of sushi.  My explanation about jet lag and coming from Dallas was brushed off.  I had to wait to check-in until the clerk came back from the crowd.

I checked in and went to my room.  I set everything down, laid in the bed, closed my eyes, and was promptly engaged in conversation with a young Dutch gentleman who wanted to discuss the potential global economic fallout from Greece leaving the European currency union.  I have no idea why he chose me, but I spent the next hour discussing European politics with him.  I know I am supposed to be making memories, but I really could have skipped that one.

Finally, he left to get another beer and I fell asleep at 10pm local time, well over 24 hours since I had woken up for my flight from DFW.

No comments:

Post a Comment